If it's April it must be the WTVP Auction.
This is the most amazing business endeavor you'd ever want to see. The annual televised WTVP Auction is scheduled for April 22-25 this year, but the few hours spent on air offering merchandise at bargain prices is literally months in the making and combines the efforts of more than 700 volunteers, the generosity of hundreds of area merchants and service providers, and of course, viewers like you.
For the past 37 years, the WTVP Auction has distinguished itself by its ability to generate extra dollars to help pay for programming that is on the station throughout the year. It is also distinguished from other charity auctions by being open and available to everyone - no membership or admittance fee is required, just a telephone and the willingness to watch and have a good time bidding on everything from soup to nuts, with some art and antiques thrown in.
Here are a few tips that may help you be a successful bidder.
- >Get an Express Bid number to shorten your time giving information to the bid taker when you call in your bid (this also lets you pick up your items on the last day instead of having to come to WTVP more than once). Express Bidder numbers are $5.00 each and can be obtained by calling (309) 495-0547.
- Have a pencil and paper by your side to mark down the item name and item number you'd like to bid on.
- Call in your bid as soon as you see an item you want. If you wait too long the board may close and your bid cannot be taken. Bids must be at least 50% of the item's posted value.
- Most bidders call in the exact 50% amount, but those who increase their bid by a few dollars to an odd number seem to increase their chances of a winning bid.
- Watch the board. If you see a higher bid than yours posted and the board is still open, call again with a higher bid. Your Express Bidder number makes it easy.
- If you are announced as the high bidder stay by your phone until our Confirmation volunteers call you. Many items are lost when the original bidder cannot be contacted and we have to go to the next highest bidder.
For the most fun, join us as an Auction volunteer. We're always looking for folks who want to work hard, have fun, and meet new people. Call us at (309) 495-0547 for information on how you can be a part of the Auction action.
Most importantly, the best way to have fun with the Auction is to Watch! Bid! Buy!
President & CEO, WTVP (Retired)