PBS KIDS Writers Contest 2014
WTVP has a fun opportunity for Central Illinois kids to express their creativity!
WTVP invites kids in Central Illinois to submit their original stories to the PBS KIDS Writers Contest. Entries are due to WTVP in late March and local winners will be announced in April. All local winners will be treated to prizes and a party in the WTVP Studio and their stories will be featured on the station’s website. First Place local winners will be entered into the national contest where they will compete against entries from across North America for spectacular prizes courtesy of national prizing sponsor, LeapFrog®, makers of the LeapReader® Reading & Writing System.
Rev up those imaginations and show us what you’ve got! The contest is open to all kids in kindergarten, first, second and third grades. Entries can be prose or poetry, fiction or non-fiction, biographical or total invention and must be supported by original illustrations.
Entry forms and complete rules with word counts and formatting instructions are available below, or call Stacey at (309) 495-0594. Deadline to enter is March 21, 2014.
Entry forms and complete rules:
- Contest Entry Form (English)
- Contest Entry Form (Spanish)
- Contest Rules (English)
- Contest Rules (Spanish)
Need help writing your story? Check out these activity sheets and writing resources:
Need inspiration and story ideas? Check out the stories from our previous winners:
Some things to remember:
- Word counts matter!
- Kindergarten and 1st grade stories: Minimum of 50 words and a Maximum of 200 words
- 2nd and 3rd grade stories: Minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
- Cover page is not required but very popular with judges. (Do not include in word count but do include in page numbering.)
- Invented spelling is accepted.
- Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D created by the author or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
- Deadline is March 21, 2014. Stories may be post marked or delivered to WTVP by 5:00 p.m. The station is located at 101 State Street, Peoria IL 61602.
Watch the 2013 Local Winners Party: