TRACKING CHINA'S MYSTERY SHIPS:
THE RACE FOR SEABED SUPREMACY
TUESDAY, MAY 2, 9 PM
Countries are scrambling to stake their claims as the world enters a phase of aggressive competition over untapped ocean floor resources. The vast economic potential on offer has made the seabed the ultimate frontier in a new Age of Exploration. China's research vessels, in particular, have been active in waters across the globe. Through our exhaustive analysis of huge volumes of Chinese ship tracking data, from sand dredgers to survey vessels, we piece together a puzzle that reveals a new hidden power struggle over increasingly critical submarine resources.
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Tue, 05/02/2023 @ 9 PM
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Fri, 05/05/2023 @ 12 PM
NAM JUNE PAIK: MOON IS THE OLDEST TV
TUESDAY, MAY 16, 8 PM
See the world through the eyes of Nam June Paik, the father of video art and coiner of the term "electronic superhighway." Born in Japan-occupied Korea, Paik became a pillar of the American avant-garde and transformed modern image-making with his sculptures, films and performances. Experience his creative evolution as Academy Award nominee Steven Yeun reads from Paik's own writings.
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Tue, 05/16/2023 @ 8 PM
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Wed, 05/17/2023 @ 12 AM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Sat, 05/20/2023 @ 8 AM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Sat, 05/20/2023 @ 2 PM
FANNY: THE RIGHT TO ROCK
MONDAY, MAY 22, 9 PM
Co-founded by Filipina American teenagers, Fanny is the first all-women band to release an album with a major record label (Warner/Reprise, 1970). Revered by David Bowie, meet the most groundbreaking rock group you've never heard of.…yet.
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Mon, 05/22/2023 @ 9 PM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Wed, 05/24/2023 @ 6:30 PM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Wed, 05/24/2023 @ 11:30 PM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Thu, 05/25/2023 @ 7:30 AM
A THOUSAND PEBBLES ON THE GROUND
MONDAY MAY 22 10:30 PM
Roger is a Chinese American medical worker facing rising anti-Asian sentiment. He is grieving the loss of his father, but he loves to perform and make people laugh.
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Mon, 05/22/2023 @ 10:30 PM
BARAKAN DISCOVERS AINU: A NEW GENERATION
WEDNESDAY, MAY 24, 9 PM
The Ainu are the indigenous people of northern Japan. They were once subjected to cultural assimilation policies, and many of their traditions were lost. But now, young Ainu are spearheading a movement to restore their heritage.
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Wed, 05/24/2023 @ 9 PM
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Sun, 05/28/2023 @ 1 AM
CHINA: FRAME BY FRAME
THURSDAY, MAY 25, 10 PM
When Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Bill Einreinhofer arrived in China 30+ years ago, he had no idea it was the first of many visits. He would spend much of his professional career making stories in and about China, locating rare historical footage. He interviewed countless people about China, its culture and its history. Many of those people are now gone. But their stories live on through him.
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Thu, 05/25/2023 @ 10 PM
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Fri, 05/26/2023 @ 1 AM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Fri, 05/26/2023 @ 8 AM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Fri, 05/26/2023 @ 3 PM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Sat, 05/27/2023 @ 10 PM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Sun, 05/28/2023 @ 9 AM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Sun, 05/28/2023 @ 5 PM
- WTVP-WORLD 47.3 - Tue, 05/30/2023 @ 10 AM
COME BACK ANYTIME
WEDNESDAY, MAY 31, 9 PM
Self-taught ramen master Masamoto Ueda and his wife Kazuko have run their Tokyo ramen shop, Bizentei, for over 40 years. Together with their customers, they have created a welcoming place of community. On the weekends, they venture together across the Japanese countryside, harvesting pears, bamboo shoots and wild mountain yams. An intimate portrait of Japan's food, community and work culture, Come Back Anytime features gorgeous scenery, mouth-watering dishes and a delightful cast of regular customers. It's a heart-warming reminder of life's simplest pleasures: a delicious meal, relaxed conversations with friends and a special place to call one's own.
- WTVP-HD 47.1 - Wed, 05/31/2023 @ 9 PM