PBS KIDS Writers Contest 2019WTVP is inspiring great ideas with the PBS Kids Writers Contest! This is an engaging way to involve kindergarten through third graders in creative writing.
This writing contest is open to all kids in kindergarten, first, second, and third grades in the WTVP viewing area. Entries must be fiction, either prose or poetry, and must be supported by original illustrations. Entries are due to WTVP by April 5th, 2019, and winners will be notified on May 10th, 2019. All winners will be treated to prizes and a party in the WTVP Studio, and their stories will be featured on the station's website.
About the Contest
Here’s what an enthusiastic teacher has to say:
“I have chosen to use the PBS Kids Writers’ Contest for the last 13 years to help my class become better story tellers and writers… The classes have benefited immensely from this project in their reading, writing, and illustration skills. I would highly recommend this project to any classroom!” …Susan Benson, Little Friends
Find a story that your child wants to tell!
Entry forms and complete rules with word counts and formatting instructions are available below. Deadline to enter is April 5th, 2019.
Need help writing your story? Check out these activity sheets and writing resources:.
Need inspiration and story ideas? Check out the stories from our previous winners.
Some things to remember:.
- We are only accepting fiction pieces this year.
- Word counts matter!
- Kindergarten and 1st grade stories: Minimum of 50 words and a Maximum of 200 words
- 2nd and 3rd grade stories: Minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
- Cover page is not required but very popular with judges. (Do not include in word count but do include in page numbering.)
- Invented spelling is accepted.
- Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D created by the author or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
- Deadline is April 5th, 2019. Stories may be post marked or delivered to WTVP by 5:00 p.m. The station is located at 101 State Street, Peoria IL 61602.