Constructed in 1904, the Schipper and Block department store in downtown Peoria, Illinois is the first steel-framed structure in town. It was known as “The Big White Store” with an exterior of white terra cotta and glazed brick with large Chicago-Style windows. In 1914, the name changed to Block & Kuhl. Over the six decades, the building underwent interior and exterior renovations, some removing parts of its original beauty. In 1975 the department store era for the building comes to a close.